Saturday, June 27, 2015

The house of Dabira


*Now singing house help songs and dusting the shelves*
Phew! It has been a bit on here. I can't see past all the cobwebs and dust. Lool. Sigh! I can't even begin to tell you guys what has been up in my life these past two weeks. Well for starters; I ran for congress woman University of Ibadan medical students association ( second term) but I wasn't elected as part of the congress body this year #sadly. Also, I had two continuous assessment tests in Anaesthesia and Orthorhinolaryngology; they went very well thanks for asking. And then I had a photo shoot too- I am actively trying to build up my portfolio. So really I have been very occupied with every other thing and that's why I went AWOL. Forgive me. 
This blog post is featuring an indigenous artist and designer; The House of Dabira. She is also a fan of this blog ( Lool! I just had to throw that in somewhere).  Folu ( CEO house of Dabira) is an Alumni of the Faculty of Law, University of Ibadan so she is our very own. She just recently started a range of bridal dresses and she had a campaign shoot for some of the dresses. I asked her if she wanted to feature it on the blog and she was more than happy to send me a post. Enjoy! 

*****************************************************************************************************************************
The House of Dabira Bridals has been a long time coming. I guess I allowed self-doubt and fear of failure hold me back on so many occasions. In an aura of “What’s-the-worst-that-could-happen”, I reached out to the photographer, Ope Okunbor and after a while of deliberations, we set a date (which changed several times, thanks to many factors, to the point where I began to ask myself if that wasn’t a sign to smartly cancel the shoot.) 
On the morning of the shoot, I ran to the fabric market to buy few important items needed for the shoot. I was so nervous, this was because despite having an idea of the looks I intended to create on the model, I was worried I might have been too deep in Fantasia and it might not come out as grand as it was in my head. Thankfully, the finished products BLEW my mind!! Completely.
Before I finish up, I’ll tell you about each one of the looks. 
The first look has its roots in the charming times of the Victorian era. This exquisite gown, also known as “Theodora”. It is softly evocative, gentle to the eyes but still exuding strength. Its tulle bodice charms you as it wistfully extends into a carefully structured ball skirt. This is for the shy bride that wants to make a statement without being extravagant.



The second look named “Eleanor” evokes regal straightforward feminine image, combining the perfect dose of substance and style. This gown is mellifluous, sweet and musical. The smoothness of the fabric mixed with its straight silhouette flowing into a flawless train takes away your breath. This is for the “sensible” bride who wants to dispense with all frivolities yet remain exquisite.





“Elizabeth”, the third look is a personal favorite of many people. With the classic ball gown comes the classic name, “Elizabeth”. Opulence. Luxury.Extravagance. These are the words the gown evokes, The “Elizabeth” gown has so much going for it, rich history (a lot of brides stick to the ol’ ball gown silhouette for their big day), broad appeal and timeless style. No matter the number of brides that choose the gown, you can still own it!







I was very lucky to have a great team working with me and I have to recognize them for making a dream come alive: 
Photography: Ope Okunbor (@ope.okunbor)
         Model: Merlin (@merlinuwalaka)
         MUA: Oyinkan (@drhunnay)
`Designer: Folu (@houseofdabira/ @aj_fidabira)
        Graphic Designer: Wani (@waniajayi)
*****************************************************************************************************************************
I personally am in love with the Elizabeth wedding gown. It ministers to my soul! Lool. If you or anyone you know is getting married soon be sure to hit Folu up....I hear she has a discount for you. Also you can check out her blog for more pictures of her wedding gown series and the famous dress she designed for Nigerian actress Dakore Akande that won her the best dressed at the AMVCA awards. 
Until next time my lovelies. XoXo. 





6 comments:

  1. I love! The make up suited the theme perfectly. And the dresses...*takes a deep breath and smiles*...well done HoD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Oyinkan!! Thank youuuuuuu! Bless your heart��

    PS.: I graduated from fan to blog stalker a while ago������

    ReplyDelete