Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Sorry, what?

Hey guys, how are you all doing?
This is something I have been meaning to speak on for as long as I remember. Have you guys noticed how when you go out to a function(especially in Lagos and Abuja) you become increasingly aware that you speak with a nigeian accent because everyone else has a British, American, or some other accent that you can't quite decipher. It honestly seems like everyone has acquired a slur to their speech and every word seems to be coming out of their nose. Even on you tube, when you watch videos made by Nigerians, you begin to wonder if there is anything wrong with having a Nigerian accent because it automatically disappears and all of a sudden they are speaking "fo-ne". I mean don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with speaking good English and quite frankly I think a polished Nigerian accent is one of the sexiest in the market. But to be honest, it is quite exhausting when you have to strain your ears(and your mind) to listen to what somebody is saying even in the comfort of your motherland. I remember the other day I was speaking to my friend who had gone to Canada for uni and I was wondering how it  was that he had ditched his Nigerian accent(which he spoke with for 17 years) and had acquired another (after just 1year in canada). Well, you know what? I don't blame these people half the time, because Nigerians tend to take you more seriously when they can't hear a word you say and it gives that "I have arrived" feeling. But it would be nice if Nigerians didn't see the need to speak that way, if we were proud to speak in our own accent even abroad, because I don't see any white person trying to speak in a Nigerian accent when they come here. Everything goes to show our level of self confidence and pride and the earlier we get comfortable in the very essence of our being the better.
 Do any of you share my thoughts? Have you had any of such experiences? Are we guilty of the foreign accent syndrome? Please leave a comment sharing your views. Thank you.

11 comments:

  1. Finally figured out how to post a comment... Lol
    Love this post... I thought I was the only one that thought so..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! Vhat is vrong vit us tbh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True talk let dem leave British accent to us dat r truly halfcast fa

    ReplyDelete
  4. True talk let dem leave British accent to us dat r truly halfcast fa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lmao! Half cast in your dreams or where Tolulope Femi- Oyewole. *tongue out*

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello yinkles periwinkles:) so this whole accent thing to be honest started with our fore-fathers who saw the white man as his superior . Every thing the white man did was better, the way he talked, dressed and even the food he ate .The amazing thing is that this mentality has passed down from generations to generations amongst Nigerians. However, thank God for education and exposure it is not as bad as it used to be but it will be very difficult to eradictate the mentality that anything "oyibo" is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right obz. Thank you for your suggestion. I hope we can move past that phase because acceptance of who we are is one step forward to liberation.

      Delete
  7. Lol.... When forming becomes a priority they begin to miss yarn..

    ReplyDelete